Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Independent Component 2

 

 
Content:  

LITERAL
(a) Statement saying: “I, Diana Serrano, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.”
(b) Cite your source regarding who or what article or book helped you complete the independent component


Professor Rebecca Laubie helped me complete my 30 hours for my independent component. She taught an Introduction to Special Education at Cal Poly Pomona for the winter quarter. 



(c) Provide a digital spreadsheet (aka log of the 30 hours).  
 It is posted next to my mentorship log.


(d) Explanation of what you completed. 
I observed a college class for a quarter. I participated in the class as if I was part of it even though I was not able to enroll. I gathered worksheets, and PowerPoint's from the class filled with information and put them in a binder.  I kept a binder with all the worksheets and notes that were given to us during the class.

INTERPRETIVE 
Defend your work and explain how the significant parts of your component and how it demonstrates 30 hours of work.  Provide evidence (photos, transcript, art work, videos, etc) of the 30 hours of work. 







This was the top of the syllabus of the Special education class. The professors information was on it but I decided to crop it to keep her privacy instead I have emailed it to Ortega. Most of the 30 hours I did were spent in a classroom learning about how special education works and what services are provided to the children.
 
This was a slide from one of the power points and the binder that I put together where all the notes and worksheets that were given to me went. On top of the time I spent in class I spent time at home printing power points and arranging my notes in my binder.
 
This was the power point for the day we discussed communication disorder.
 

 
These were a few worksheet I received in the class I scanned them to be able to put them in this blog post. the original copies are placed in my binder for future reference.
 
 
APPLIED
How did the component help you answer your EQ? Please include specific examples to illustrate how it helped. 
This independent component helped me answer my essential question because I learned what a child with Autism can go through when they are in school and how a speech  pathologist is important in helping the child with anything that interferes with there education. My third answer to my essential question is that a speech pathologist can help a child with Autism by enhancing the goals listed in the IEP. By taking the class I learned what an IEP, and the process that it takes to develop. For example, I had read about what an IEP was and what it was like but it was a totally different experience having a professor that has worked as a special education teacher tell you what she had to do in being part of the IEP team and knowing the process of it. Reading about it and having somebody tell you about it is a totally different experience and I felt that taking the class was a worthy experience. During the course I learned about different ways special education teachers help children with disabilities and found that some of the strategies were similar to the ones speech pathologist use. Like, PECS (picture exchange communication system),  social stories, and Alternative ways of communicating (ipads, computers).
Grading Criteria 

  • Log on a digital spreadsheet
  • Evidence of 30 hours of work 
  • LIA submitted to blog

No comments:

Post a Comment