Friday, September 6, 2013

Blog 5: Project Reflection and Working EQ

Content:
So far, you have: completed your summer mentorship, started doing some research, maybe completed the interview and hopefully found a mentor.
Using what you have done so far, answer the following 5 questions (be specific and use examples)

The Pentagon:
(1) Positive Statement: What positive thing happen as a result of what you have completed so far?
I learned what special education and learning disabilities really are, because before I really did not know why children would be considered as special ed students. I am also able to communicate with others when trying to find a mentor because it required me to talk to alot of people and explain to them what I needed to do and ask if they could help me do it, for those who know me know that it is really hard for me sometimes but I had to get it done.

(2) EQ Content:  Pick a piece of research or your interview.  How has it helped you improve your understanding of your topic?
A book titled "Special Educational Needs in Early Years Care and Education" by Linda Littleboy, Micheal Reed and Jill Thompson was a great book that I was lucky enough to find. It starts of simple and explains what special education is, next gives a brief overview on past laws or acts that were passed that affected the educational perspective of children with disabilities, and explicitly explains how to monitor a child's development and how to asses and record a child's progress.

(3) What has worked for you so far in the senior project?
In this senior project I have been able to find research that has led me to look for more research. I have currently not come to a dead end where I do not know what else to research or where to find research. I have also been taking really thorough Cornell Notes that I hope will help me later on when writing my paper.

(4) What hasn't worked so far?
My summer mentorship was the only thing that did not work for me because I did it on Health and Safety and since I switched my topic I did not have knowledge about my topic before school started. I think that if I would have done my summer mentorship with something related to my topic I would have had a better background overview. Also finding a mentor for Special Education was harder than I expected because there are so many more rules and laws districts put in.

(5) Finding Value:
 What is a potential question you would like to study this year?  (working EQ)
What is the best way for a child with learning disabilities to learn?

 What do you plan to do for mentorship?  If you haven't found a mentor yet, then discuss where you are currently looking and who you are talking to to find it.
Unfortunately, I still have not found a mentor but today I called Casa Colina's Human Resource Department and asked about volunteering at their learning and language program and they told me all I needed to do was to take my application and assist an orientation, so I am hoping I can find my mentor there.

1 comment:

  1. What is the best way for a child with learning disabilities to learn?
    Okay...you will have to be specific about the learning disability as well as the type of learning. What is the best way for a child with dyslexia to learn to read?

    ReplyDelete